Darjeeling Fun Facts
In 1899, Darjeeling was rocked by major landslides that caused severe damage to the town and the native population.
The darjeeling was proposed to be reopened in 2007, and finally opened in February 2012.
Until the early 19th century, the hilly area around Darjeeling was controlled by the kingdom of Sikkim, while the plains around Siliguri were intermittently occupied by the republic of Nepal, with settlement consisting of a few villages of Lepcha and Kirati people.
Sample list of famous people who were born in Darjeeling:
- Sally Nesbitt ( Actor )
- Raj Singh Chaudhary ( Actor, Screenwriter, Model and Film Producer )
- Lain Singh Bangdel ( Writer )
- Prakash Gurung ( Singer-songwriter, Musician and Composer )
- Mahima Chaudhry ( Actor and Model )
- Gerald Fielding ( Actor )
- Anna Kashfi ( Actor and Model )
- Aruna Lama ( Singer )
- Pahadi Sanyal ( Actor )
- Louis Banks ( Musician, Composer, Record producer, Singer, Film Score Composer and Music Director )
- Gopal Yonzon ( Musician, Lyricist, Composer and Singer )
- Jamyang Norbu ( Writer )
- Sumita Sanyal ( Actor )
- Jamling Tenzing Norgay ( Writer )
- Prashant Tamang ( Singer )
- Subash Gishing ( Politician )
- Sylvia Coleridge ( Actor )
- Niruta Singh ( Actor and Singer )
- Moni Kumar Subba ( Politician )
- Dawa Narbula ( Politician )
- Erick Avari ( Actor )
- Vivien Leigh ( Actor and Singer )
- Neale Cooper ( Manager )
- Iman Xin Chemjong
- Mary Boyce
- Barun Roy ( Journalist, Author and Cartoonist )
- Lawrence Picachy
- Reginald Warneford ( Soldier )
- Rajendra Bhandari
- Arthur Peck
- Robert McIntosh
- Lobsang Sangay ( Educator )
- Indra Bahadur Rai
- Martin Garrod
- Robert Freer
- Ankita Das ( Athlete )
- Frank Thompson
- Ranjit Gazmer ( Music Director )
- Amber Gurung
- Roy Pomeroy ( Film Director and Special Effects Artist )
- Tenzing Sonam ( Essayist, Film Director, Screenwriter, Television producer and Cinematographer )
- Hum Jayega
- Abhaya Subba
- Shanti Thatal
- Prem Das Rai
- Shukla Bose
- Dil Kumari Bhandari
- Philip Joubert de la Ferté
- Frederick Kisch ( Engineer )
Darjeeling is about 10.57 square kilometers.
Darjeeling is located in West Bengal, India.
The hills of Darjeeling are part of the Mahabharat Range or Lesser Himalaya.
Sample list of tourist attractions in Darjeeling:
- Darjeeling Carnival
- Darjeeling Himalayan Railway
- Bhutia Busty Monastery
- Peace Pagoda, Darjeeling
- Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park
- Tiger Hill, Darjeeling
The history of Darjeeling is intertwined with that of Sikkim, Nepal, British India and Bengal.
The darjeeling is located in the Mahabharat Range or Lesser Himalaya at an average elevation of 6,710 ft (2,045.2 m).
A separate district of Darjeeling was established consisting of the hill towns of Darjeeling, Kurseong, Kalimpong and some parts of the Terai region.
The darjeeling is reported to be the only location in eastern India that witnesses large numbers of foreign tourists.
The darjeeling is noted for its tea industry and the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Darjeeling Carnival, initiated by a civil society movement known as The Darjeeling Initiative, is a ten-day carnival held every year during the winter with portrayal of the Darjeeling Hill's musical and cultural heritage as its central theme.
Darjeeling's geo-coordinates are 27.05° N, 88.2667° E.